Sangiorgioturismo - Villa Bonaparte
The young architect Ireneo Aleandri (San Severino Marche, 1795-1885) opened the yard in 1826, while Girolamo Bonaparte was living in Fermo. The villa was ready in 1829 and then, Mr. Bonaparte, moved some furniture and furnishings from Trieste to Porto San Giorgio. After he decorated his new residence, his family came to Porto San Giorgio; they were his wife, Caterina, and their three children.
Girolamo Bonaparte remained in Porto San Giorgio until 1831, when the revolt of the papal government took place. In 1832, he and his family was forced to leave the Marche. The Camera Apostolica bought the villa in 1834. One year later the noble count Luigi Pelagallo bought again the villa and its furniture and furnishing.
The building is U-shaped, with a squared yard having an opening on the west side. The main front is east sided. In front of the villa, there is an Italian style roof garden, half circle shaped, with palms, a big exterior staircase, a path with holm oaks, and a little curved access passage. The prospect is well balanced and shows a large portico with three arches and three French doors. These ones open themselves in a little balcony, like the noble floor of the villa. Shelves supporting some gables are over the French doors. Three windows are over the shelves. Decorations are both in the front and over the arches around the villa. More ornamentations, like army trophies, are between one window and another. Marble vases, with the initials of Mr. Bonaparte, are in the garden.
In the north side of the villa there is an orangery, built up by architect Giambattista Carducci from Fermo. During the winter, this construction was destined to conserve oranges or other fruit plants. It develops itself on three floors. On the ground floor there are stables, on the first one there is a greenhouse without windows and on the second onethere is the guardian residence. Giambattista Carducci also decorated the front of the orangery, according to the style used to ornate the villa. The ornament is smooth bossed style and cover about the entire surface. On the upper side, there are five big non-pointed windows, overcome by six little lions.
Behind the orangery and the villa there is a fountain surrounded by a big park. The fountain is like a shell.
Inside, the villa enhances on four floors. External people notice only three of them because the first two are low-rise and under the portico. The main room can be 8 meter high. Entering the main door there are some commemorative stones and then two ramps. The left one bring people to the mezzanine floor, the right one lead to the honour staircase. By this way, it is possible to reach the noble floor. Here there are the honour room, the dining room, and two little salons. Other lateral rooms have a hexagonal and a circular shape. The circular one has a lenticular floor and it is 8 centimeter lower than the other is; this made the room being a music room.
Internal ornaments are like gargoyles. In the honour room, there are many monochrome frescos. The vault reproduce the royal Westphalia and Wurttemberg emblems, while on the corner there are army trophies, like the one that are in front of the villa. They are linked together by motifs rising from eagles and flying Nikes.
The author of these decorations is unknown. Antonio Panfili could have made them. Therefore, we have no sufficient information about this painter. He could be a relative of another famous artist of Porto San Giorgio, Pio Panfili.