Porto San Giorgio

Cartografia-Porto-San-Giorgio

History

1_-_san_giorgio_e_il_drago_DEF The history of Porto San Giorgio is strongly connected to that of the near city of Fermo. It was its port. In 1st century A.D. Porto San Giorgio was mentioned as “Castellum Firmanorum”. During the Medieval ages people wrote about it as “Portus Firmi”, when Porto San Giorgio started to be known as one of the most famous seaports of the entire Adriatic Sea. More

 

 

Monuments and curches

Rocca-Tiepolo_VD

Rocca Tiepolo: In 1267 Lorenzo Tiepolo, Venetian and podestà of Fermo, built the fortress. It has a quadrangular shape, one dungeon and some crenels, and represents a fortress for the port defense. It became under possession of some army men, who made some new construction. It has been recently renovated and, mainly during the summer, lot of cultural events take place in it.

Teatro_Comunale_VD

City theatre: In 1813, a society of 50 people started constructing the theatre. Giuseppe Lucatelli from Tolentino was the architect to whom was given the job. Lucatelli decided to build it up in front of the cistern of San Giorgio Square. It was ready in 1816 and opened in 1817. In 1841, theatre had some problems caused by humidity. From 1850 to 1860, Mariano Piervittori, coming from Foligno, repaired the theatre, giving it new decorations and scenes.  More

Villa-Bonaparte_VD

Villa Bonaparte: The youngest brother of Napoleon, Girolamo Bonaparte, who was king of Westphalia and prince of Montfort, wanted this majestic and beautiful villa. He decided to live in Fermano after his defeat in Waterloo battle (where he was commander in chief of the French army). The building, which has neoclassical structure, was also named “villa Caterina”, because of the Girolamo’s wife name. The villa is in the oldest part of Porto San giorgio, near the big walls (XIII century).  More

 

 

St. George square

1_-_Chiesa_di_San_Giorgio

St. George  church: It was built in 1830 near to the clock tower and at the foot of “Rocca Tiepolo” (the big fortress). The architect Ildebrando Giunchini made the sketch. Doric columns should have been placed in front of the unfinished facade of the church. The interior has three naves, separated by ionic orders. In the apsidal there is the big statue of Saint George with the dragon, made by the sculptor Giorgio Paci.

2_-_Chiesa_dei_morti

Dead's church: It was realised in the XVIII century and it is near to the San Giorgio Church. Before the church there is an atrium, on which there are some bas-reliefs. Over the entrance, there is the emblem of the archbishop of Fermo, Cesare Brancadoro.

3_-_Torre_dellorologio

Clock tower: There was another tower demolished in 1820. This one take the place of the other.

4_-_Fontana_dellabbondanza

Democracy (or Abundance) fountain: When the city aqueduct was built in 1897, Alfonso Bernardini was asked to realise a sculpture, which should have celebrated the aqueduct itself. On the upper side, there is an orb, on which a figure of woman is placed. It represent the democracy, has a pomegranate on the right hand and some grain on the left. They symbolize fertility and abundance.

 

 

More to visit

1_-_paese_vecchio

The old town: While walking through the main street of Porto San Giorgio, people find a big pointed arch, one of the symbols of the old port. The history of the city and its old crafts is clear, and an ideal breath of sea can be caught among the alleys.

2_-_museo_del_mare_def

Sea museum: It is a young museum. The first exhibition of the pieces was in 2012. Then, the museum moved into the main floor of Villa degli Oleandri (“Rivafiorita”), where it actually is. Many pieces come from a private collection of Stefano Campussè.

3_-_riva_fiorita

Villa degli Oleandri, (Riva Fiorita): The villa is property of the municipality of Porto San Giorgio. In the past, Riva Fiorita hosted parties, concerts, and dancings. There is a big garden where an open-air cinema took place. Besides the sea museum the villa host summer events, like exhibits, parties and open-air theater shows.

4_-_Chiesa_della_Madonna_del_Carmine_o_delle_Anime_Sante

The church of "Madonna del Carmine" (or "Anime Sante"): The church is dated back to the second half of the 17th century and has only one nave. Behind the altar there is a painting (dated 1695, made by Francesco Trevisani) of the Madonna Del Carmine, Saint Evangelist John and Saint Nicholas from Tolentino who intercedes for the spirits of purgatory. On the right, there is a marble portraying the Faith and on the left, there is another marble of the Charity. Above the altar, there is a masterpiece of Filippo Ricci (dated 1760), that symbolizes the Education of the Virgin Mary. In the church, there is also a picture of Vincenzo Pagani (Crucifixion and the Grieved Saint Mary Magdalene, Saint Girolamo and Saint Evangelist John.

5-Chiesa_del_Santissimo_Rosario

The curch of the Blessed Rosary: It was built in 1728. It has three naves. There is an interesting statue of the early 1700, which represents the Madonna of the Blessed Rosary. The apsis has also a fresco, made by Sigismondo Nardi of Porto San Giorgio at the end of the 19th century, symbolizing a Virgin Mary with child and angels.

6_-_Palazzo_Comunale

Town hall: Inside the town hall, there is a picture, painted in 1775 by Gaetano Gandolfi, representing Saint James between two Saints.

7_-_porto_turistico_peschereccio

Tourist and fishing port: In 1500, people used to fish dragging. At the half of the 17th century, Porto San Giorgio had a large number of drag net boats, and between the end of the 17th and the beginning of the 18th centuries there were many bigger boats along the coast. It was about the 1850 when the fishing became more technical and organized. The first jetty was built in 1954. Nowadays the port of Porto San Giorgio is the biggest tourist port of the Adriatic Sea. It has a surface of 140.000 square meters, and can host about 1000 boats. I was built in 1984 and during the years it obtained more than 9 blue flag from the E.U. as per its efficiency, organization and cleaning.

 

 

Liberty style villas

1_-_ville_liberty Porto San Giorgio has a large number of beautiful liberty style villas, built between the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th. It is possible to admire them by walking through the city. One of them is “Villa delle Rose”, built in 1921. Outside this villa there are precious majolica decorations; inside the villa there are many valuable Art Nouveau decorations. In 1947 the villa, damaged by the Second World War, was given the Canossa Sisters, who got back the building.

 

 

MOMENTS LIKE THIS

APARTMENTS

Seconde-case

Apartments and private rooms

OUR FLAGS

Bandiera-verde-pediatri-italiani

 Bandiera_blu_VD

 

HTML 4.01 Valid CSS
Page loaded in: 0.026
Powered by Simplit CMS